Commercialization of education is referred to the procedure of private ownership and management of educational centers whereby the owner makes his investments with the intention of gaining high profit. In general terms, commercialization is referred to the process that includes action in business. The aim of commercialization process is to make the product more effective and accessible to the people. In this process, the main components include production, distribution, sales, marketing together with other supports that are needed to commercialize the activity or the product. Commercialization is basically a broad field that can be applied to several other sectors including the field of education, agriculture, sports, charities ad many others.
In current times, the commercialization of education has emerged as an innovative development that has produced several reforms in the sector of education. It is easy to understand the commercialization of education from the drastic enhancement of private schools and other institutions in different states. The significant part of privatized education is that it has introduced financial components that are essential to qualify for education, mainly the higher education. Besides, the commercialization of education is highly associated with structural adjustments, movements in responsibility together with the improvement in education system concept. The scenario of privatized education has impacted various fronts of education that has ultimately transformed the entire concept of education system. Unfortunately, the student teacher relationship has been highly impacted together with the basic purpose of education. It is analyzed that commercialization of education has deeply influenced all the investors who are included in this investment chain from students to teacher, parents and management. It is because of the move that has changed from the vertical link to the horizontal link has eventually transformed the position of teachers and students into businessperson and customer respectively.
A Global Response to Commercialization 0f Education
In the past times, the education was seen as a human right and good to general public. However, the increasing commercialization process of education has reflected how the accomplishment of quality education has been jeopardized by private education mafia. The current situation has been challenged by the Education International (EI) where the international corporate sector has been called to demonstrate their participation in the school provision, financing and management issues. The issue of commercialization of education was addressed in Education International (EI) 7th World Congress that was held in Canada in July 2015. In this conference, various prominent issues that are considered high risk to the student and education system were taken into consideration. In result, the World Congress with almost 2,000 delegates resolved to execute a worldwide response to the immediate growing for-profit corporate sector participation in education system.
The Primary Goals of The Global Response Project
- It is the foremost objective of The Global Response to guarantee that the state governments do not revoke from their basic duties to confirm that each and every student must have a right and access to gain free, quality public education. As a substitute, it is important for the governments to enhance domestic resource mobilization for education to 6% GDP. The experts suggest that government must target its valuable resources to control and mitigate the disadvantage and deliver basic opportunity to all the students that can help them to reach their full potential. These resources should be assigned to pre-service and in-service teacher training and development programs together with the infrastructure of schools. It is also one of the objectives of the Global response Project to encounter the mafia who aims to invest on education sectors with the sole intention of profit-making. In result, the process undermines the right of all the students to attain free, quality education and hereby establishes inequalities among the masses.
- Another basic objective of Global Response Project is to challenge the vulnerable working conditions and exploitation of the rights of teacher that has mainly resulted due to profit making goals in education. It is believed that such mistreatment with the teachers will result in their low morale and de-professionalization. Besides, the situation can erode democratic decision-making and general accountability with respect to education governance.
- The Global Response Project also aims to challenge the utilization of market-based rules in the field of education such as test-based and teacher responsibility policies, standardized decreased curriculum, choice and competition. It is believed that the right to gain quality education will be intensely damaged through marketisation of education and the introduction of managerial reforms. In addition to that, the said elements can encourage separation and will result in lowering the ability of the teaching profession.
- The Global Response Project has called the state authorities to build countrywide agreed minimum standards that can improve the teaching profession in line with the ILO/UNESCO recommendations on the status of teachers 1966. Besides, the governments at local levels are also called to ensure the enrolment of adequately trained teachers in educational institutes that possess effective pre-service and in-service training and are paid reasonably.
- The Global Response Project also encounters the prevalent privatization and commercialization of education system as the system is believed to be one of the greatest risks to entire education sector that may eventually impact the huma rights and public good.
According to the source, The Global Response initiated the movement in specific targeted countries where the public education was intensely jeopardized due to some privatized education unions. In addition to that, it has been ensured by the EI to completely discourage the promotion of for-profit education system that is increasingly growing by private education mafia, hence impacting the underprivileged communities in developing states. The Global Response Project is highly motivated to build the system of universal basic education with the help of publicly funded free and effective education. It is believed that schools that are established with the sole purpose to make money in vulnerable state governance such as African Countries will no more be allowed to abuse the entire education concept due to their vested interests.