For bloggers and content creators who use their artistic talents to post content online, the most common question is, how can they start using their skills to make money?
With so many people looking to avoid nine to five shifts and searching for independent sources of income, competition is high in the online marketplace. However, a combination of smart strategies, talent, and dedication can help you find your online source of income
Let’s take Google as an example. It’s a (mostly) free-to-use platform for everyone around the world with services ranging from search engines to email to file storage. But is there a way for you to successfully make money with Google?
Yes, there is!
To learn how you can do it, follow this guide and learn about Google AdSense
What Is Google AdSense?
Google AdSense is what we call an ad publisher. Their primary function is to connect advertisers and publishers, and is the main tool used by people to make money with Google in 2020. It allows publishers to connect to the ad network where advertisers that use Google AdWords can place bids to show ads on their websites.
When a user clicks on an ad on a publisher’s website, the publisher gets paid a specified portion of the initial bid by the advertising party. Google AdSense can be a fantastic opportunity for creators on YouTube or people with blogs to start making money quickly.
Don’t be misguided, though. Google AdSense is by no means a get-rich-quick or passive income program. You can monetize your website and content, but you need to do things right and drive traffic.
The Six Types of AdSense Ads
Before we can learn more, we need to know what sort of ads we’re dealing with when we use Google AdSense.
- Link Ads: These ads appear in a text link format with either a fixed or responsive size. It usually shows topics that are related to the content on your page.
- Display Ads: Displays ads are adaptive ads that fit every screen size. They’re responsive and will work on almost every platform and device. Display ads are compatible with Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) and can also be modified to a fixed size.
- In-Article Ads: These ads are designed to naturally fit the flow of an article without taking anything away from the reading experience.
- In-Feed Ads: Similar to in-article ads, they’re designed to fit in a list, sidebar, or feed naturally without disrupting the user experience.
- Matched Content Ads: These ads recommend content similar to yours to a user. They’re very targeted and have higher success rates.
- Images: These are types of graphic ads that can appear in any shape or size.
- Rich Media: Rich media ads are more complex than other options and make use of flash, HTML, or video.
- AdSense for Search: This is a unique option that allows you to include a Google search box on your website. Whenever a user does a search using this tool, they get a slew of AdSense ads in their results. The pages are customizable and can be made to look like your website.
How Do You Make Money With Google AdSense?
In order to qualify for Google AdSense, you’ll have to abide by the following guidelines.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You need to have an active Gmail account that isn’t already linked with an AdSense account.
- Your website should meet all the Google terms of service.
Other than that, your website should also comply with all of the AdSense program policies and Google’s Webmaster policies.
Of course, it’s all well and good to have a standard website that meets these requirements, but that’s rarely enough to make money with Google AdSense. We recommend that your website contains at least 30 pages of relevant and unique content. It should also be at least three months old and be generating traffic. Traffic generation has a direct correlation with how much you can earn.
Extra Pro Tips For Maximum Return
Here are some top tips to effectively make money with Google AdSense.
- Never click on your own ads or ask other people to click on them. Buying Pay Per Click (PPC) spaces, using computer programs to drive fake traffic, or incentivizing clicks are all breaches of the Google AdSense rules. Google isn’t very kind to policy breaches, so be careful.
- Make sure that your content is great and engaging. Quality content is what ultimately drives traffic to your website. Focus on what your target audience is looking for.
- Use effective (and honest) traffic generation techniques like SEO and article marketing.
- Always create a mobile-friendly version of your website. Ads should be compatible with all devices.
- Don’t just stick with one option. Try different sized ads to see which one is getting the most clicks.
- Keep track of your results with data from your account. See what’s working and keep trying new things.
- Try A/B testing to see which ads perform the best.
Alternatives to AdSense
Though AdSense is probably the best way to make money with Google, it isn’t the only ad network platform around. Programs like InfoLinks and Media.net are also great alternatives you can try if you don’t want to work with AdSense. Some of the alternatives have different requirements, so keep an eye out for those.
You can even run ads from multiple ad networks on your website, but you need to be careful about striking a balance. No reader is going to spend time on a website that spams them with ads. The main focus should always be your content first.
You can also try different avenues for income generation like:
- Affiliate marketing
- Selling a product or service
There are lots of ways you can earn money online. However, the formula for long-term success is always honesty, perseverance, and a tendency to take initiative.